Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Salvaged Finds-They make me Happy!

This little cupboard is one I have had for several years and never knew what to do with it because of the heart cut-outs on the sides.  Heart cut-outs on furniture were popular in the 70's, 80's and the 90's but you don't see much with hearts anymore.  I however say what was once desirable will be again.  I decided to paint the cupboard with a patriotic theme, because our Patriotism is the heart of this county and BA-zing there it is hearts rule!


 This is a plaid tote bag I found and just had to have. I pictured it filled with flowers and used it that way to decorate at Christmas time.  I know Christmas is past but I always like to promote the use of vintage to decorate with. I plan on filling this bag with some faux geraniums for summer and some flags so stay tuned I will be hanging on to this piece and reusing it again soon.
 This is a child size rocker found in the discard pile. The seat is pressed-wood and bubbling up a bit from water exposure.  The rest of the rocker is all wood so I figured I could paint it and distress it and make it work.  After I painted it I noticed the seat was still a problem the bumps were more noticeable than ever so I sanded it down the best I could and Modge Podged a piece of scrap book paper on to the seat to cover up my problem.  It turned out nice and the bumps are gone and no one will ever know they existed unless of course they read my blog.....lol....
 These are some bottles (sorry for the terrible pictures) I dolled up....lol...literally.  Below you can see the doll head bottle in the beginning stages.  The head I glued onto a cork and painted. I think it had fire damage because there were scorch marks on it. 

The silver pitcher type bottle I sprayed with the glass spray pain and it gave it a nice mirror finish, not exactly mercury  glass yet vintage enough. The blue Milk of Magnesia bottle I attached a nice Eiffel Tower picture to and the small metal container a copy of an old photo with a wooden bingo token on the top.  All fun all the time.


This is a toilet paper holder I found cheap might I add but you already knew that.  It was painted a hideous bright blue so I spray painted it white. The white wouldn't completely cover the horrid blue up so I gave it a top coat of my favorite Brilliant Silver.  This also would double as a yarn holder for when you are knitting or winding yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment