Friday, June 8, 2012

Church Bench Make-over


I went the shop to deliver some things to my booth one fine Saturday and the owner of the shop told me that he wanted to get rid of this old church bench he had sitting out in front of his shop.  It hadn't sold in 2 years and the finish was shot and he was just sick of it.  He said Catherine, you might as well take it home and give it a make-over. I know I heard my husband groan but I told him that it was just fate that he was with me and that he had the truck.  He still wasn't convinced so I laid on the how I do all the laundry, cooking, cleaning,and work 2 jobs and I had him. I don't like to resort to those tactics but it was necessary, this was a free church bench for goodness sake!


The bench was in pretty rough shape and the veneer was peeling, one of the end pieces was missing, and the legs where broken too.  So I begged my dear sweet loving husband to cut the bench in half and then I would take over from there. He offered to make some end pieces for it but I didn't want to press my luck I might need him in the future and his truck and I felt I could take if from here.

I went to the thrift store one day and found 2 well built tables that I thought would be great to bolt my half bench to.  They were 4.99 less 10% (Senior discount...oh yeah, if I am old at least I can save some money so I can become an old lady hoarder).  Once again I was with my husband who still thought I was out of my mind I am sure, he hasn't committed me yet so I guess he figures there is still hope for me!


After some paint, glue, screws and a few miscellaneous parts I now have a little bench that is so solid I can hardly lift it.  I have the other half a bench to finish and I probably will give that one a different look.






4 comments:

  1. Great idea and FREE?!? Thank you so much for coming by and linking up to Rustic Restorations Weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comments. And Tammy thank you for inviting me. I did get the other half of the church bench painted Monday and will be posting it soon, I did it in a patriotic theme.

    ReplyDelete