Friday, September 14, 2012

Little Cupboard Rescue

It has been a while since my last post. My Mother had knee replacement surgery and I was her go-to girl! I stayed with her during her recovery and we had some fun chatting and knitting, some real quality girl time. She has recovered so very well due to the wonderful people that held her up in prayer, a real miracle!

Today I am posting a piece I actually got done before I left to care for my mother.  I just didn't have the time to post it and Mom doesn't have Internet at her house. I realized how much of a princess I really am, I had to do with out the Net, Dish, and air conditioning, but I made it! yeah!

Back to the project, I found this medium sized shelf at the thrift store and brought it home to my hoarder's studio. It had some challenges:

1. Dark stain
2. Top came unglued (I can relate to that one!)
3. No front door to shut!
4. Sides on the front curved making it hard to attach a door.



I found an old picture frame that fit perfectly for the door and then cut a door paned out of some thin plywood for the door center.  I cut down some boards for side pieces so I had something to attach my door to and attached that to the cupboard with some old rusty hinges from my stash. When I re purpose I never throw away old hardware that I take off form my finds, it always comes in handy on another project later on

Next I got busy priming the piece with my reliable friend-Bonding Primer that I have grown to love so well.  Then I painted on a coat of white and trimmed the door and base with my own special mixed Paris gray.  I next painted the designs and stained the entire piece. 


It took me some time to find all the right stuff to make this piece happen but overall it was well worth it.  When I got the painting all finished I realized I needed a magnetic door closure and didn't have one. So naturally I snagged one from one of my own cupboards to make due until I made a trip to town!  It never fails that I lack some small item that I need to finish and with gas so high I have to become even more inventive at times.  Some people play vid games to help keep their minds sharp.  At age 55 I prefer hunting treasure and creating something new and interesting while saving one more thing from become a cast away!

5 comments:

  1. Very, very clever! Love that you made your own door to turn this into a cabinet. Great job all the way around. Love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cute--love the birdcage on the front!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this transformation and the little bird is adorable-I wanted you to know I featured it on my Saturday favorites so stop by to check it out-Have a great weekend-Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your work and it's great to save things others would throw away!

    ReplyDelete